1) Why did you decide to participate in Re-Humanism Art Prize?
In 2018 I started “demand full laziness”, a five-year plan dedicated to automation and laziness. It was a story that I thought interesting and important to tell and re-humanism represented a context in which to tell it.
2) When and how did you start thinking about Internet as an instrument of artistic experimentation and the daily use and abuse of the web as a field of investigation?
I started working in the field of the so-called net art towards the first half of the 2000’s with the Les Liens Invisibles collective together with Gionatan Quintini. At the time we tried to apply the concepts of psychogeography to the new spaces defined by digital platforms. Once in 2009 we even mobilized 20000 people to commit a virtual seppuku on Facebook: a suicide of honor that was in the cancellation of their account and that more than glory only made us a nice complaint from Zuckerberg himself.
Then the rest is history, we lost. Social networks and large digital corporations have colonized and normalized the utopian imaginary of the network.
As long as it lasted it was fun.
3) Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning, widespread terror in relation to the upper hand of machines on man. Do you not afraid that human laziness leaves too much space for algorithms?
The laziness I speak is for me only to be understood as an tempting polemical expedient. It should not be taken literally. Talking about full laziness is a way to highlight how work – intended today as a form of necessary and inevitable sustenance – is today a convention and a conviction that needs to be rethought.
To the technological changes that are increasingly imposing on the global level we must not react with neo-luddite approach against robots that “steal” our work, but induce to rethink our social organization according to the new possibilities offered by technology that in fact will always be more able to grant free time and get rid of work.
4) Part of your artistic production is delegated to algorithms until 2023: Art, work, self-sufficiency, laziness. But what will Guido Segni work for in the next 12 months?
I’ll play hide and seek with my kids (I have four! ), I will prepare new dough and new pizzas, I will try to listen to those around me Peace, love, laziness.
5) How do we know that these answers are yours? Won’t we be conversation with an algorithm? Give us a proof!